OSSD Releases Return to School Plan for SY22
The Ocean Springs School District has released its 2021-2022 Return to School Plan. The Ocean Springs School District will return to school on August 4th, 2021 in a traditional format. We will continue to monitor local health guidelines from the Mississippi Department of Health and will update this plan accordingly. The safety of our students and staff members remains our top priority.
OCEAN SPRINGS, Miss (OSSD) -- The Ocean Springs School District will return to school on August 4th, 2021 in a traditional format. We will continue to monitor local health guidelines from the Mississippi Department of Health and will update this plan accordingly. The safety of our students and staff members remains our top priority.
Masks & Health Protocols
- Masks will be optional for all faculty, staff, students, and visitors inside OSSD buildings. OSSD will not ask for proof of vaccination.
- Signage will be placed throughout all OSSD campuses reminding students and personnel of best health and safety practices, including hand hygiene.
- Hand sanitizer will be provided by the district to every teacher and placed throughout buildings for easy access and use.
- There are standardized sanitation protocols that will be completed based on COVID exposure.
- Any student exhibiting symptoms of COVID-19 will be referred to the school nurse immediately.
- Students, teachers, and staff should stay home when they have signs of any infectious illness and be referred to their healthcare provider for testing and care.
- Per board policy JGCC, any student sent home for illness must be free from any fever for 24 hours without medication prior to returning to school.
- Upon a positive COVID-19 test result, parents are strongly urged to contact their child’s principal immediately.
- Teachers and administrators on duty will encourage students to move through areas of congestion as quickly as possible to minimize congestion.
- Students should bring water bottles from home. Water fountains have been disconnected and bottle filling stations have been installed in all buildings.
- Hand sanitizer will be available in high-traffic areas. The custodial staff will complete routine cleaning and sanitization of our high-traffic areas.
- Students and teachers will continue to maintain 3 feet of physical distancing in the classroom when possible.
- Routine cleaning and sanitizing of classrooms by custodial and designated staff will take place throughout the school day.
- Students will be encouraged to wash their hands or use hand sanitizer routinely.
- All grade levels will utilize Schoology, an online learning management system, to ensure students who miss school have access to materials online.
- OSSD has a 1:1 student: device ratio, meaning every student has an assigned Chromebook to use throughout the school year.
- If students are ill and need to check out a Chromebook, they are asked to contact their school.
- PPE Requests will be available for teachers to complete on our district website.
- Masks will be available at each site to those who wish to use them.
- Masks will be optional for all students and drivers.
- Buses will be sanitized between routes.
For Updated Information and Further Communication
- OSSD will continue to use SchoolMessenger, OSSDMS.org, and our social media accounts (@OSSDGreyhounds on Instagram & Twitter) to release information as it becomes available.
- OSSD will continue to monitor local health guidelines from the MSDH and will update procedures as necessary.